Going an entire day without spending money sounds easy enough right? Maybe when you were 12! These days unless you are a super planner, it’s a challenge IMO to go an entire day without spending any money. This month I made it ONE day, next month my goal is TWO!
For those of you who know me, I LOVE a challenge. In fact, many times the only way I can accomplish anything at all is when I turn it in to a challenge.
If you are single, it’s not too hard, when you have a partner, it gets a little more daunting, when you have kids, it’s nearly impossible to plan what those little nuggets are going to need in advance.
Several times I have picked the day in advance, only to have something unexpected come up. And I guess if you are super flexible in your routine and your life, you can delay those “emergencies” for a day or two. However, as adults, we are pretty set in our ways. If I get to the pool for my swim and my punch card ran out, I am NOT going to shrug my shoulders and say “oh well, guess I’ll swim tomorrow” and head back home…which is precisely what happened today on my planned “No-Spending Day”.
Here are some of the things to take into consideration when you are picking your No-Spending Day…
- Do you have gas in your car? Fill up the day BEFORE.
- Do you have all the food in the house you need to prep your meals you planned for your No-Spending Day?
- Are your kids all caught up on fees, etc. for their sports, activities, hobbies, fund raisers, camps, and school? It would be a shame if you went ALL day spending no money and then that night you pick up your son from Baseball and you forgot you owe $20 for the coach gift.
- Are you all paid up on bills, utilities, credit cards, debts, bank fees, etc?
- Check your schedule for that day to make sure you aren’t running any errands that cost money like Post Office, ATM, parking, tipping, laundry mat, Dr. appt, etc.
- Make sure you are up to date on your prescriptions.
- Check your calendar and make sure you don’t have to buy anything that day like plane tickets concert or show tickets, etc.
- Make sure there is nothing you need repaired IMMEDIATELY…that you know about…of course emergencies do come up!!
OK! Now you are ready to pick your day (and a back-up day or two) and DO IT!! Don’t wait too long. It’s better to pick something within a week and just GET CREATIVE if you have to? When was the last time you BORROWED something you needed from a neighbor or friend instead of bought it? It’s fun…try it!
I would LOVE to hear about your No-Spending Day experiences. The good, the bad, and the ugly!
Especially advice you have for others. Can you do more than one a month? A week? Two in a row? Now we’re getting a bit crazy but I love it. I love delaying gratification. I think it is a sign of greatness and a characteristic of a successful life.
I am working toward being DEBT-FREE by June 2015 and this is just one challenge to help get me there.
If you want to join us in our FREE support group with other money-savvy peeps…Financial Freedom Rocks Facebook Group