To be clear…there are 2 categories of favorite meals, my favorite FAVORITE meals are all from restaurants, which are…
1. Vegan Saag
2. Panange Curry
3. Vegan Sushi
4. Vegan Spring Rolls
5. Veggie Burrito from Roberto’s
I have tried making each of these at home and they turn out OK.
So here are my 5 favorite “at home” meals…
The ingredients are pretty specific so I have included some alternatives if you don’t have my “first choice” ingredients at your local store.
1. Grilled “Cheese”
This is my #1 fave! My most comfort food. I have to be careful because it’s also a trigger food and I can easily eat an entire loaf in one day! Plus my bod doesn’t love bread so this is reserved for special occasions or serious bribery!!
- Dave’s Power Seed (my fave) or another seeded bread like Rudi’s.
- First choice “cheese” is Field Roast Original, then Field Roast Herb, then Follow Your Heart Provolone, the Follow Your Heart Cheddar, then Daiya Cheddar. Daiya is now in most grocery stores, the other 2 are only in Whole Foods or some other specialty health food stores.
- Earth Balance “margarine”…I get whichever flavor is on sale. They all taste the same to me. Luckily Earth Balance is now in most regular grocery stores!!
- No sugar added organic ketchup. Hard to find. If you can’t find it at least go with one sweetened with sugar or agave, not corn syrup!! OR…if you have a high speed blender you can make your own with tomatoes and sea salt!
I love dipping my grilled cheese in ketchup, but if that doesn’t sound good to you, skip the ketchup!!
2. Vegan Ravioli w “Ricotta”
This one may be hard unless you live near a Whole Foods as all the ingredients I have ONLY found so far at WF. But it is worth the trip when you find one!!
- Vegan Ravioli. The ones I get are handmade and in the refrigerated section. There may be other vegan raviolis out there but I haven’t seen them. Just make sure there is no egg in the pasta part and no dairy in the filling.
- Kite Hill Ricotta, I haven’t ever seen any other vegan ricotta anywhere. I’m sure there are recipes to make it, but that seems like a lot of work to me and I can’t promise it will be as amazingly delish as Kite Hill’s. Here is a map of where they have their stuff… http://www.kite-hill.com/find.html
- Fresh Garlic. I use 2 cloves, but I’m wild! You can use more or less depending on your love for garlic…and what you have going on after!
- Fresh Basil. Again, I use a ton, use however much you think you would like.
Cook the ravioli, mix in the ricotta, garlic, and basil.
PS…I make my hubby’s with red sauce. I just cook his ravioli, mix in the red sauce and add ricotta as a topping instead of the main stuff.
3. Mashed Potatoes
- 8 Red Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Vegenaise
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance
- Sea Salt to taste
Cut the potatoes in quarters, put in a pot, cover with water, turn stove on high and start timer for 30 minutes. When timer is done, mash potatoes, add all the other stuff.
4. Vegan “Burger” Salad
This is another one I love and eat often as my hubby LOVES the vegan burgers I get so I can make him a burger “normal” style (with bun and such) and I can make this for me!
- Vegan Burger (my fave is BY FAR Field Roast Hand Packed burgers. You can get them at Whole Foods in the refrigerated section with vegan cheeses, vegenaise and such)
- Vegan Cheese (check out my faves above)
- Crinkle Cut Potato Chips (I like either Boulder Chips or Kettle Chips with Sea Salt only)
- 2 Tomatoes
- Vegenaise optional
You can grill your vegan burger, I’m lazy so I just put mine in the microwave with the cheese for 1 minute and then cut into small pieces.
Cut up 2 tomatoes, cut up the avocado, and then put EVERYTHING on top of a bed of Potato Chips. If you want it gooey-er or juicy-er, add vegenaise.
5. Grape Salad
Ahhhhh…the old family favorite made vegan! Just a note, my non-vegan, junk-food hubby LOVES the previous 4 meals, he won’t get behind this one, but it’s one of my faves. I rarely make it because it’s another trigger food and I end up eating the entire batch!
- 1 lb rice pasta shells
- giant bag of green grapes
- Potato Chips (same as above is my first choice)
Boil the noodles until al dente, drain, cool, mix in grapes and enough vegenaise to moisten the mixture.
Cool completely in fridge. When ready to eat, take a scoop, mix with enough vegenaise to make it gooey like potato salad or coleslaw, and then smash up potato chips and sprinkle on top.
That’s it! Those are my 5 faves. As you can see I am a simple “cook”. I consider myself more of a “throw-together” vegan but it works for me. Hope you like these as much as I do!
More easy vegan meals…
Hundreds of AMAZING vegan recipes (some easy, some not so much)…
Join our 7 Day Vegan Challenge…
And share your fave vegan meals with me here…
See you next week!