I am a small business owner and have been for the past 20 years. I make it a habit to primarily do business with other small business owners, usually the ones I know, like, and trust. I believe I am not the minority and if given the option, most of us would stick to people we know, like, and trust for business.
That means if you are a business owner, you need to assemble an attractive personality so that YOU are the person that everyone wants to do business with.
There are many characteristics that make up a great personality and make you more likeable, this is a list of ones I feel are most important.
These are taken from a list of 25 personality traits Napoleon Hill wrote about in his book, KEYS TO SUCCESS. You can order the book here…
1. Positive Attitude: This is the most important aspect of an attractive personality. It influences your tone of voice, posture, facial expressions, the words you use, the emotions you feel, and every thought you have.
2. Flexibility: The ability to adapt in a constantly changing world.
3. Sincerity: This shows up in everything you do, no amount of acting skill can disguise it!
4. Promptness of Decision: Successful people reach decisions definitely and quickly.
5. Smiling: Don’t underestimate the importance of a frequent and sincere smile in making your personality appealing to others.
6. Tolerance: This is the disposition to be patient and fair toward those whose opinions, practices, and beliefs differ from yours.
7. Sense of Humor: This allows you to relax and remain human in the midst of pressure and change. It keeps you from taking life too seriously.
8. Alertness of Interest: You can pay others no greater compliment than to concentrate your attention 100% on them when they want it.
9. Humility: True humility is the recognition that even the greatest people are still, in the grand scheme of life, only fragments of the whole.
10. Personal Magnetism: This is the only personality trait that is innate and cannot be changed. You have what you are born with, so learn to use what you have!!
So now what??? Some people say you should play up your strengths, some people believe you should work on your weaknesses, so what is right for you? I say BABY STEPS!! Always baby steps! Read through this list and rate yourself on a scale from 1-10 on how NATURALLY good you are at each one. If you aren’t sure, ask a trusted friend.
Anything from 8-10, let it be for now, you are pretty proficient in those.
Anything below a 3, let it be FOR NOW as they would require a LOT of work to improve.
Take your 3-7 and put them in order of what YOU think is most important in your business and your life.
Pick the TOP 3 and come up with one thing you can do each day to work toward increasing your “score”.
You may have to enlist the help of others if you don’t have ideas. Pick someone you think is really good at the characteristics you are working to develop and ask her. Or just emulate her if she is someone out of your circle.
I am happy to help as I have worked to enhance these skills in my own businesses/life over the past 10 years.
Contact me here for suggestions…
Sign up to get our new exciting, informational, AWESOME weekly newsletter here…
See you next week!